Claims against the Federal Government in California

Claims against the Federal Government in California

Updated on Saturday 25th February 2017

Rate this article

based on 2 reviews

Claims-against-the-Federal-Government-in-California.jpgIndividuals involved in accidents caused by government or military officials or that happen on government property need to file a lawsuit against the federal government – a process that is not as straightforward as a lawsuit against a regular individual who caused a car accident, for example.
Los Ageles personal injury attorney is able to help you if you have been involved in such an accident. An individual can only sue the government under certain cases and under the provisions of the Federal Tort Claims Act. An experienced lawyer will be able to help you and advise you regarding the steps you should follow in order to take legal action.

The Federal Tort Claims Act

The law stipulates that an individual can take legal action against the federal government only if he is allowed to do so. The Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) contains the main provisions for these types of cases and before fling any lawsuit you should know exactly if you case is one of the approved ones.
The federal government can be held liable for damages caused by a federal employee who acts negligent or wrongfully. A lawsuit can be filed only when the accident or damage is caused by a federal employee and not by an independent contractor who was acting on behalf of the government. One example of such an accident would be a car or motorcycle accident with an U.S. Marshall.

Filing a lawsuit against the federal government

Any claims against the federal government are brought to the District Court in your city of residence or where the accident occurred. There are strict procedures to follow when making such a claim and the FTCA stipulates that individuals should first submit their claim together with a standard form. One of our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys can help you fill in this form so that you can include all the relevant information for your case.
The amount of damages you can ask for during a lawsuit against the government are limited to the amount first described in the application form. Individuals cannot ask for punitive damages in these cases.
For more information and examples of successful cases you can contact our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys.


There are no comments

Comments & Requests

Please note that client queries should NOT be posted here but sent through our Contact page.